4cool
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games - Movies - Clips - Wrestling - Music - Artists - Chat - Women - Cooking - Cars - Football - Art - Programmes - iPhone - Laptops - Girls - Jokes

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Rush to Rehab; Stop Rehab Abuse!

ameer
admin stator
admin stator
ameer

https://4cool.ahlamontada.com 
Post The Rush to Rehab; Stop Rehab Abuse!   The Rush to Rehab; Stop Rehab Abuse! Date-310Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:53 am

The Mayor of San Francisco announces that he�ll enter rehab andcounseling for alcohol after it�s revealed that he had an affair withthe wife of his campaign manager. Isaiah Washington is undergoingcounseling for his use of a homophobic slur. Michael Richards is incounseling for yelling racist epithets. Met Gibson enters rehab foralcoholism after making anti-Semitic remarks when stopped by police fordriving while intoxicated., Sen. Mark Foley enters rehab for alcoholafter it was revealed that he had sent sexually suggestive e-mails toteenage pages., Reverend Haggard enters rehab when confronted withhaving a sexual relationship with a male prostitute.

The list goes on and on and on.

Thenthere are the Lindsey Lohans and Nicole Ritchies who enter rehab fordrugs, alcohol or whatever, become �experts� on addiction recovery,tell everyone how their lives have changed, yet within a short amountof time are seen partying, driving under the influence, and acting out.

Weread the newspapers, listen to the radio and go online wondering, whois next in the line-up for rehab? Who will come out a few weeks later,write their memoirs, go on the speaking circuit, and tell us to liveour lives?

There could be a gold mine in running rehab centersfor celebrities that don�t want to take responsibility for theiractions and for counselors who specialize in famous people who makeracist, homophobic, or any other hate-filled remarks.. There�s probablyalso money to be made by graphic artists who create diplomas forgraduates of rehab and counseling who are declared �cured� ofalcoholism, drug addiction, racism, homophobia, and homosexuality.

Rehabis getting a bad name and soon there will be no room for the averagealcoholic or drug addict who works hard to stay clean and sober, takesresponsibility for their actions, and knows that there is still work todo after the first 30 days.

I�ve been clean and sober for over22 years and I�ve put a lot of work into transforming my life. One ofthe first things I learned in AA was that alcoholism and drug addictionare not excuses for injuring yourself or others. Part of my recoverywas making a list of people who I had harmed, making amends to thempersonally and accepting the consequences of my past actions. I didn�tmake an announcement to the world and I still don�t think I have allthe answers, but I do know a thing or two about rehab.

Irealize, for example, that my amends and apologies have to meansomething and indicate a change in actions and thought processes. Ialso know that �apologies by proxy��when celebrities make inappropriateremarks then apologize to well-known people from the group targeted bythe remarks�just don�t cut it. There seems to be no end to well-knownpeople who make racist remarks about Black people and then call AlSharpton and Jesse Jackson seeking absolution, as if they have thepower or time to forgive and make such comments ok.

Enteringtreatment for addiction means you get treatment for your addiction. Anyother changes you make are up to you. That also means that.a racistalcoholic, who gets treated for alcoholism can still be a sober racist,anti-Semite, homophobe, or engage in inappropriate behavior.

Asa diversity and inclusion strategy consultant, I speak to individualsand organizations throughout the world. I hear racist, homophobic,anti-Semitic remarks from all kinds of people. At the same time, I�mwith people who work hard to understand others who are different thanthemselves, who learn to break through incorrect assumptions andstereotypes, and appreciate the opportunity to interact with others inmeaningful dialogue.

Rehab is not the cure for all the -ismsor for hate. The cure is education, self-examination and thewillingness to get to know people from diverse backgrounds as humanbeings and understand their lives and experiences.

Simma Lieberman

P.S. The cycle continues: Ms.USA was on Larry King talking about her new self and giving advice after several weeks of rehab.
Page 1 of 1
َ

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
َ