4cool
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games - Movies - Clips - Wrestling - Music - Artists - Chat - Women - Cooking - Cars - Football - Art - Programmes - iPhone - Laptops - Girls - Jokes

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Sacro-Iliac Joint Dysfunction?

ameer
admin stator
admin stator
ameer

https://4cool.ahlamontada.com 
Post What is Sacro-Iliac Joint Dysfunction?   What is Sacro-Iliac Joint Dysfunction? Date-310Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:01 am

The S-I joint is one of the most misunderstood areas of the human body.It has been the source of much controversy in the medical community formany years. Much of the debate relies on the fact that there are fewreliable evaluation methods for the S-I joint.

Contrary to discinjuries, which can be evaluated using many types of diagnostic tools,examining the S-I joints has proved to be quite unreliable. Cliniciansneed to rely mostly on their experience rather than simple methods usedto examine the low back. Most medical professionals do not acknowledgeit as a source of pain and dysfunction. So patients leave a medicaloffice with an incomplete evaluation and often times, an inaccuratediagnosis.

The S-I (Sacro-Iliac) joint is comprised of twobones; the sacrum and the ilium. You have two S-I joints (left andright). They are located basically where the spine meets the pelvis.Look for the two dimples in your low back. These two joints allow forvery little movement overall as compared to other more prominent jointssuch as your hip or shoulder. The pelvic girdle is generally describedas the two S-I joints, the pubic symphysis (pubic bone in front), thetwo hip joints, and the bottom two vertebrae (L4, L5).

What do you feel?

Painlocated at or near the S-I joint on one side or both sides. Painlocated in the low back, buttock, and/or groin area. Another commonsymptom of a S-I joint dysfunction is �sciatica�. Sciatica is bestdescribed as a sharp, often shooting pain that begins in the buttocksand goes down the back of one leg. S-I joint dysfunction may also causenerve irritation of the nerves that supply the groin or front of yourthigh.

Other symptoms include:

� Weakness in one leg or both legs; difficulty standing on one leg and raising the other leg (like marching)
� Numbness and tingling in one leg (pins & needles)
� A burning pain located near the �dimples�
� Difficulty raising from a chair
�Muscle discomfort in the buttock, hip, or low back (over 30 musclesattach to the pelvis; from the hip, buttock, thigh, low back.

How does this happen?

S-Ijoint dysfunction is usually caused by an imbalance in the muscles ofthe hips and glutes and it can also be caused by a fall or othertraumatic event, such as a car accident.

A condition known as�hypermobility� may also predispose an individual to S-I jointdysfunction. �Hypermobility� is best described as a condition in whichthe joints have too much mobility. This condition generally affectswomen more than men. Different hormone levels present in women,specifically �relaxin�, can influence hypermobility. This hormone isreleased to prepare the body for pregnancy, and its level in the bloodchanges throughout pregnancy process. It basically causes the ligamentsto �relax� and allow for more movement to occur in the pelvic girdleregion.

The best treatment options

First of all,the evaluation is critical to the success of treating a S-I jointdysfunction. Most dysfunctions can be treated with manual techniquesthat generally involve �mobilizations�, �manipulations�, or �muscleenergy techniques�. These techniques must be applied by a skilledmedical professional, such as a physical therapist. These techniquescan prove to be quite helpful when utilized appropriately following athorough evaluation.

Once appropriate manual techniques havebeen administered, a comprehensive exercise program must be implementedto address the following areas, specifically muscle imbalances:

� Lumbar stabilization program: strengthening abdominals and buttock muscles
� Improve flexibility in lower extremity musculature

Somecases may only need a detailed exercise program that addresses themuscle imbalances. You can learn more about how to identify and addressyour muscle imbalances by visiting http://www.losethebackpain.com

SomeS-I joint dysfunctions may linger on for months and even years.Remember, if you are engaged in a current treatment plan with little tono improvement, seek other options. If you think you may have a S-Ijoint dysfunction, the first step is to find a healthcare professionalwho is skilled and experienced in addressing muscle imbalances.
Page 1 of 1
َ

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
َ